Monday, October 21, 2013

Vanellope Von Schweetz Candy Hair with no clips

Here's a trick I learned from my raver days back in the late 90s when I use to put stars and other shiny stuff in my hair.  Who knew that 15 years later this full time working/softball/soccer mom would be using the same trick for their kid?  

You will need flat back beads or 3-D stickers that look like candy/sweets, and Velcro hooks (that's the pokey side, not the soft side) that have the adhesive backing.

I went to Michaels the other day and couldn't find any flat back beads or buttons that looked like candy.  So, I headed over to the Scrapbook section to look at the 3-D stickers and totally hit the jackpot.  I ended up getting stickers that were more like "sweets" instead of  "candy".  Etsy sells beads that look like candy but I was afraid that if I ordered them, that they wouldn't get here in time for Halloween.
(Sorry for the poor quality in bad lighting pictures)





The Velcro I had was left over from a previous project.  I liked this long strip of hooks because I was able to cut the sizes I need for the differently shaped stickers I had. If you decide to use the pre-cut circle of Velcro, that will work just the same too!



 I then stuck the hook Velcro onto the back of each sticker. For the larger stickers, I put them on a piece of paper first and then cut around the edges so that not so much of the stickiness from the sticker will catch the hair when putting them on.


Fix your child's hair the way you want it first before putting the candies on to the hair.  In this case, Vanellope's hair is a high ponytail, so fix the hair into a high pony tail first.  To put the candies on the hair, just place it on your child's head sort of wiggle it in.
Be sure to know where exactly you want place the candies in your child's hair before putting them on.  Especially with this Vanellope look, her hair is in a high pony tail, so to remove the candies you will have to take the hair down and slide off each candy.

I will take full photo's of MJ on Halloween so you call can see the complete look!

No comments: